Or at least Survival Vending!
The Daily Prompt is asking: Soft drinks, electronics, nutrient-free snacks — you can get all of those from a vending machine. But what type of vending machine is sorely needed but doesn’t yet exist? Share your automated retail fantasies with us!
I’m that person that will pack everything under the sun whenever I’m going on an outing – yet, somehow, the one thing I end up needing is the one thing I never thought of. So, I think it would be kind of awesome to have a vending machine full of all of those little inexpensive things you need in a stitch but are miles away from the nearest store. Like:
- A miniature sewing kit
- A tube for your bike tire
- All of your First Aid necessities
- Batteries of every size and kind
- A cheap little LED flashlight ( I got a couple for my kids last year that only cost $1 at Target and not only do they still work, but WOW are they bright!)
- A quart of oil for your car
- Some kind of portable battery that will charge your cell phone enough to make a call (not even sure if those exist, but they should! Especially, if your car is like mine and doesn’t have a working cigarette lighter/charger port)
- Various kinds of cheap tools like an assortment of screwdrivers, wrenches and a ball peen hammer
- A bundle of rope/chord/bungee-ties
- Handkerchiefs or bandanas
- Single sets of plastic utensils
- Disposable cameras
- A deck of playing cards (hey, staving off boredom is an emergency!)
- Have you ever seen those tablets that turn into towels in water?
- Or how about the tablets that you can use to make ANY water drinkable?
Of course, location is the most important thing. The Emergency Vending machine should be placed in areas where these things aren’t already readily available – I know, that makes sense to us, but have you met the people who own vending machines? – So, I would design them to run off of solar power, rather than needing an outlet. However, there are still places with electricity, like State Parks, Lakes, Truck/Rest Stops, Toll Booth areas, or even tiny gas stations that might not carry all of those items, but could surely sport a vending machine for them.
I just hope that if someone does take my idea and runs with it, that the next time I’m in a stitch, there’s an Emergency Vending machine where I’m at. It would be just my luck to know they exist and be in the one spot no one ever thought to put one…